Monday, December 31, 2012

A Writer’s Guide to the New Years




A Writer’s Guide to the New Year

DOOM IS APON US! THE END TIMES IS NEAR! WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE HORRIBLY! 

All right, now that the New Year’s festivities are out of the way (so cliché, I know, but I have to bow to tradition), we can move onto the next most popular cliché. No, not making a survivalist camp to fend off the pending apocalypse: making resolutions that you will invariably fail to follow through on. But we all know that’s because the world is coming to an end, not because we’re all lazy lazy people. 

(Right?) 

Still, I thought I’d share my resolutions for the upcoming year so that thousands of strangers can look at my failures to follow through, point, and laugh. 

1) Write a contemporary novel. I am a writer of science fiction and fantasy. This means my novels are exciting thanks to their fast pace, laser-gun fights, and unicorn explosions. But I’ve always wondered if I’d be able to write exciting novels set in the mundane real world. Don’t misunderstand me…I don’t worry that the real world would not be interesting enough. No, I worry that I won’t be talented enough for the real world.

2) Work out more. This has nothing to do with writing, but I really do need to work out more and lose some weight. Everyone has this resolution every year, and every year we fail at it more, so I really hope that someone invents a way to eat delicious food without getting fat or needing to exercise soon, before I become perfectly spherical.

3) Move out. I currently live with my parents and while I love them dearly, I’d rather be in a new place, on standing on my own two feet. No, wait, I just realized that doing this would mean I’d have to pay for my own food…oh well, I’d still prefer it. Everyone has to be independent at some point. Even if it is scary. 

4) See at least one scary movie. I’m a huge coward. But sometimes, I like being scared. But I don’t like being scared enough to actually go to movies that are scary, because I’m a coward. See, this is the kind of recursive character combinations that make life so interesting. Well, I’ve always wanted to indulge my “liking to be scared” side by going to see a horror movie in the theater. But I’m also a huge coward. So…I want to see at least one in the theater before the beginning of the next year.


5) See the Hobbit movie. I put this here because the Hobbit movie is going to be so cool and I wanted at least one resolution that I will actually be able to do.

What do you mean, “That’s cheating?” 


Debris Dreams
David Colby

Genre: YA science fiction

Publisher: Candlemark & Gleam

ISBN: 978-1-936460-38-0

Number of pages: 294

Cover Artist: Karen Gadient, www.karengadient.com


Book Description:

2068

1.5 million kilometers above the surface of the Earth

Drusilla Xao has only seen a tree in movies and vid-games. She has never breathed air that wasn’t recycled, re-filtered, and re-used a hundred times over again. She has never set foot on the Earth.

And now she never will.

When a terrorist attack by a radical separatist group on Luna destroys the space elevator that had called so many – including her parents – to live permanently in space, Dru is cut off from any hope of ever reaching Earth and her beloved girlfriend, Sarah. The Chinese-American Alliance declares immediate war on the rebels and conscripts everyone they can get their hands on…including Dru.

Cast adrift, forced to become a soldier, trapped in a nightmare of vacuum and loneliness, Dru’s training will help her survive, but only Sarah will be able to bring her home.

Author Bio:

Heavily influenced by George Romero movies and bad, poorly dubbed anime, David Colby decided to start writing almost twelve years ago. It went poorly. But, despite these early setbacks, David continued to work and write and send out submissions until someone was mad enough to accept him. Currently living in Rohnert Park, California, while working on his English Bachelor, David Colby continues to be fascinated by George Romero movies and has realized that animes have subtitles.



Twitter: @therealzoombie


Book Character Twitters:

@druofnight

@cayerbear22

@caa_news

No comments: